Monday, August 07, 2006

the party crashers

about a week ago i sent an email to my friends inviting them to a "raucous party/ice cream social" because my parents were on a 2 week roadtrip. my parents being gone was really more of a gimmick than anything because my parents knew about it. they were supportive, in fact. still, it was nice to have them out of the way for such an event.

the party would be on a saturday, and as i continued with the party preparations i spoke with my mom during the week about their travel time-frame. we agreed that they would arrive home on sunday night. the day after the party. we spoke several times and each time re-established this itinerary.

the day of the party arrived, and i found myself busy with last minute preparations. in addition to the things i was doing, i had to remember to feed my nephew who was staying alone at my sister's house while she and her husband were on a trip. about an hour before guests could start arriving, i left to pick him up some wendy's. my friend delroxy had arrived early at my house to help prepare. as i waited in the drive-through at wendy's, i got a text from delroxy.

it said: "your parents just came home."

when i read those words i remembered all the times throughout my life that my parents had done things that made me mad, to put it simply. i texted her back: "what!?"

she texted back: "i asked your mom if they had come home early and she said 'i don't think so.'"

after what seemed like an eternity to get home from wendy's, i arrived at my house to see a guest who had already arrived but was sitting in her car. then i saw my mom happily watering her potted plants on the front porch. i got out of my car and said, "what are you doing here? you aren't supposed to be here. i'm having the party, like, right now."

my mom said, "today? but today is sunday!"

no. no. today was NOT sunday.

i explained this to her, and she just couldn't believe it. my step-dad, whom we'll call "tommy," was even taking his sunday pills today, for goodness sake! eventually she came out of denial and went to tell tommy about the mistake they had made.

i had prepared for almost every eventuality for this party, but this! and how could i argue with such a circumstance? it wasn't her fault that she had come back on what she thought was the correct day. i couldn't very well tell her to turn around and go back to mexico...

later, my only regret was that they hadn't shown up in the middle of the party instead of right before. in which case it also would have been awesome if they didn't know about the party, so we could all run and hide ferris bueller style.

maybe next year.

2 comments:

Cicada said...

It was a good party, even if your parents did crash it.

I went home and told my dad about it and he didn't believe me. He said that your parents obviously knew what day it was and were joking about thinking it was Sunday. I told him that he obviously didn't know your parents.

Anonymous said...

I think it would have been quite great if you would have cursed them in Spanish and told them to go back to Mexico and return as scheduled!!! :)